I've asked around, and searched online and on few journals, but I'm not sure why salt isn't used in the interior of Alaska. I'm not at all proposing to use it since it's terrible for cars and can cause environmental damage in sensitive areas.
I'm just curious if it is a permafrost sensitivity issue, or just getting salt to the interior issue. I think permafrost is neat, and I am glad that salt is not used here, despite my really not liking driving to work today.
Any links or articles would be greatly appreciated!

Moose like to eat the salt and walk into the roads!!!
ReplyDeleteMainly because salts is less effective/non effective with our drops in temps.They do use it to deice the sand that they use on the roads.
Thanks! I know salt doesn't work very well in really cold temperatures, but it's typically not needed then anyway.
ReplyDeleteI never thought about the moose thing. Salt is used religiously in New England to the point where there are road signs warning where salt isn't used. There are moose, but nothing like the population in AK.
I think salt isnt as effective in the with temps in the teens or lower. We dont get snow at 50 below but we do get snow at 20ish below. That is the better part of December and Jan.
ReplyDeleteDepending on salinity content, salt water will freeze (approximately) between 20-32 [deg] F. But, it usually doesn't matter at colder temperatures anyway. Ice storms will almost always occur at around 32 and snow will fall at colder temperatures.
ReplyDeleteI don't mind driving in snow.