Lee Petersen. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Monday, November 22, 2010

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Freezing rain closes schools shuts down bus service in Fairbanks roads hazardous

***Update 2: Good article from the school administration about yesterday:
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Fairbanks school district administrators recount decision to close schools***

**Update: Just overheard in the hall:***
"I've been here for 12 years and I've never seen the roads this bad"***

Some bad unfortunate decisions being made in Fairbanks this morning.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Freezing rain closes schools shuts down bus service in Fairbanks roads hazardous

We knew when we moved here that there were no school closures due to snow (kids still have outdoor recess until it is -20 F), but this is ridiculous. They finally moved to call off school once students were already there, and I just received notice now at 9:30 am that classes are to be canceled at the university.

When we woke up this morning there was an alert on the radio from the Alaska State Troopers not to travel anywhere unless it is absolutely essential.

We drove to work today between 5 and 15 mph most of the way (50 mph zone) and at times it felt too fast. At 5 miles per hour it was difficult to control the car downhill. Sidewalks and roads are a kind of ice that I have never seen before on roadways. It is smoother than any ice rink ice I have seen and it covers every inch of roadway.

It is supposed to continue raining, freezing rain, and 'ice pellets' for the next two days. It is over 20 degrees above average, and has been for a couple of days now. Then Thursday it will drop back down to 10 below. I wonder what happens to this ice then? I think it becomes super ice.

Sorry, I'm grumpy about this. When there are multiple, multi-vehicle accidents all over town, the city buses shut down early, there are warnings from the DOT and State Troopers and the ARMY base shuts down, school should probably be called off.

Here is a pretty picture I took of the full moon last night.

Full Moon

9 comments:

  1. Remember we usually dont have rain mid Nov.We usually dont have conditions like these. I cant even recall the last time they canceled schools in Fairbanks.I dont think they have in the last 13 years I have lived here.I am sure they did the best they could and hopefully will learn from their mistake. Its already canceled for Tuesday.
    Chill out, winter isnt even here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but also feel (after getting on the road) that this morning's conditions would be instantly noticeable as a safety issue. This rain and ice was not a surprise. FSNB knew it and didn't have bus service today. Already many (university) students can't make it in because of this. State Troopers issued the alert by (at least 6am) to not travel unless essential. The roads were deemed "drive-able" by school officials. But, driveable does not encompass "safe". Five buses slipped off the road today. Thankfully there have been no reports of serious injury.

    I've seen almost as bad of calls in New Hampshire and Minnesota. It happens, and it can't be easy to make the decision. Either way, people get upset. I do not think anyone would be upset about a decision to call things off today.

    Not looking forward to the drive home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they were the moment we got on Badger on our way to UAF at 630am, and we turned around and came home.
    The weather service was right, this time. If the school canceled every time we might get ice, or snow we wouldnt get in 180 days in twelve months. School isnt canceled at 50 below either.
    The travel alert was issued last night, but as I said, you never know if it will happen or not.
    Hang out for a but longer before you get postal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe ride home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not going postal, not even that upset. I just think it was a bad call. It needn't have been made last night because of the forecast, it could have been made by simple observation pretty early this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. at 615am, in North Pole we hadnt even started rain yet.Hard to cancel High School buses that start at 630ish if its not raining.

    My point was after the roads were bad, then people should use common sense.Otherwise you really cant rely alone on NWS or alerts.
    Its a part of life in Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/10413545/article-Ice-storm-unprecedented-in-Interior-Alaska--meteorologists-say?instance=home_lead_story

    ReplyDelete
  8. The roads were much better driving home. Our street is still a hockey rink, but Farmer's Loop is not so bad.

    Friday (or Thursday, Anonymous is right, weather predictions are meaningless here) it is supposed to get cold again. Hopefully we get some snow down on top of this junk too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lee...remember what I said a while back....forecasts are like horoscopes...with numbers!Be careful out there.
    yer unk

    ReplyDelete